View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2015, 20:55   #1
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lasers in airsoft for Dummies

Since there have been a lot of threads bringing up the same old discussion over and over again, it is time to consolidate everything to a single thread to help distribute factual information about Lasers (Mainly IR lasers) in Canada, and in Airsoft.

First and foremost, as per 2011 Health Canada Safety, which follows the US FDA guidelines for safe laser usage. Any laser above Class 3R has been deemed prohibited for sale under the Consumer Protection Act. More information here

1. What lasers are legal to use in Canada?

Class 1
Class 1M
Class 2
Class 2M
Class 3R

2. Does this mean my Airsoft laser could land me in hot water?
That depends on the classification and use. If you own a laser in the prohibited class (Over 3R), while owning the laser after 2011 may not be a punishable offense, use of the laser is still controlled. If you were to cause injury to an individual with the laser, you could be charged.

3. What about Military Lasers? AN/PEQ-15's, AN/PEQ-2's?
As per the classification on the device, these are Class 3B laser units and are prohibited for sale. Many of these lasers are able to produce a Lower Class 1(Eye safe) beam, however, the classification is based off the maximum capability of the device. In this case, the highest power setting.

4. What legal lasers can generally be used at Airsoft Games in Canada?
Class 1 lasers have been widely accepted at Canadian hosted Airsoft events, mainly in the Ontario region. This is due to the Class 1 rating being the safest rating a laser device can receive, where as no eye damage can occur under all conditions of normal use. Even if you were to look directly into the laser beam, no damage or injury would occur.

5. I want to make my own Class 1 Laser.
You can! However other individuals may not want your home made laser used on them at games. Remember, it is their eyes at risk, not yours.

6. This is confusing, I blew all my money on Nightvision, and now I need a cheap affordable laser to go with it, but it has to be legit? What do!?
There are many legal and civilian available lasers now available on the market which will suit your needs. Many, if not all of these lasers have been accepted at Airsoft games provided you have the proper paperwork prooving the legitimacy of your eye safe laser.

Living List of legal civilian lasers accepted at games in Canada:
Note: Be mindful regarding clones of these products. Knockoff G&P Dbal clone lasers are capable of producing output above Class 3R. This lands them in the prohibited category.
(There may be other lasers not on this list, these are the most common)

LDI DBAL-I² Class 1 IR Laser

LDI CQBL-1 Class1 IR Laser

LDI DBAL-PL Class 1 IR Laser

LDI DBAL-D2 Class 1 IR Laser

LDI OTAL/ITAL Class 1 IR Laser

Wilcox RAPTAR Lite ES Class1 Infrared Laser

LaserMax LMS UNI-IR Class 1 IR Laser
Now available here

Streamlight TLR-2 IRW Class 1 IR Laser
Now available here

If possible, I will be updating this list as well as adding Canadian sellers for these laser devices. Currently Canadian Retailer I Run Guns has been selling LDI Laser products. It is only a matter of time before more reputable companies start selling them.

Last edited by c3sk; January 13th, 2015 at 03:29..
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote