Thread: Battery FAQ
View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:36   #26
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
And as I said before, AS long as they don't get hot then thats fine, but I don't think you can universally say putting a 10A load on any battery is a universally safe way to discharge. The pack size and battery size and capacity also play a roll, but heat is an ultimate indicator. If its hot to the touch, you're doing damage, simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos-Mos View Post
Yes I know that most people are not using larger cell types and yes I know that heat can deteriorate batteries.
No need to do this through PM, its a perfectly fine conversation to have, and different viewpoints *should* be part of a discussion. What you've said here is precisely why it should be discussed, because most people don't treat their batteries properly.

I've had plenty of returns from people who've foobar'd their batteries doing fast/deep discharge on the advice of others using fancy 4A-10A dischargers but at the wrong settings (ie: 1200mah NiCAD 8.4v packs) "but all I did was use the discharger!!!"

Sometimes I can bring the battery back (its a memory thing) and other times I can't (the chemistry is screwed). So you can do all the fancy Google searching on battery technology you want, bottom line is I've seen what people have done in their returns. I have a computerized digital battery conditioner with a reconditioning charge and discharge function on it. Generally I don't set the discharge above 4A if I am reconditioning a battery, or preparing a new one (yes I prep my batteries because most people don't know how to do that, and thats why everyone thinks there is something magical about BB Bastard batteries...). Its nothing more than cycling them a couple times to get them up to their max capacity. After that the NPT charger prevents them from doing anything overly damaging to the battery and they get good longer term airsoft use out of them.