View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:02   #22
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by techobo View Post
I have an 8.4V 1400mAh 10C Ni-HM

The instructions that came with my charger said that I should use the charging rate of .9A since my battery is within 1100-2100mAh. It says for batteries higher than 2100mAh I should use 1.8A.

Will my battery charge faster if I use 1.8A? Or is that not a good idea in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos-Mos View Post
Go ahead. You can charge "mini" type batteries up to 2A safely. Actually I charge my 1400mAh at 2.5-3A and they don't get damaged.

My guess is that you have the "Smart universal charger". Yes you can have it at 1.8A no problem.

hmmmmmmmm Kos-Mos, you are mostly right - if its a new battery and there is less resistance in the battery, charging a mini at the 2A setting should be okay. Problem is as the battery ages, resistance goes up, and when resistance goes up, faster charging produces heat and gas at higher rates and cause a slow decline in your battery life. Ideally? The mini's *should* be charged at the 0.9A setting, thats what it is for. The large batteries, at the 1.8A (2.0A) setting.

Ultimately? Feel the battery. At the most it should be slightly warm to the touch, preferrably a little less than human skin temperature. Beyond that you're getting into temperatures that produce excess gas in the cells that will separate the materials within the battery, which is ultimately the battery killer.

Slow charging is always preferrable to fast charging so if you have the option (time) to go slow, choose it. I even charge my big batteries at 0.9A unless I am in dire need of it right away (at a game). I've got batteries that are going on their 36 month mark and continue to work fine.