Thread: Battery FAQ
View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:09   #81
Kos-Mos

If you know your rifle VERY well, and have been using LiPo safely for quite a long time, you can guess when it reaches 3v.

I don't need an electronic sensor because I know exactly when to stop.

You *CAN* get a ROUGH idea of a good time to stop if you have a Ni-MH battery that is the save voltage range (say 8.4v is in the same range as a 7.4 LiPo, 12v is for 11.1v) and same capacity. Take a 15-20% margin to be safe.

If you are using a large pack (3000mAh +), you should be good for at least a complete game. Just charge it every time you are done with it.

If you are restricted in space and are using a smaller one (like the little 1200mAh for buffer tubes), you should consider stopping at about 1000. The pack CAN fire more, but depending on your setup, past 1000 is total random.

When you get used to the gun, you will know when the pack drops. That is because LiPo have a very linear and sharp voltage drop. The gun will fire fine. 5 rounds later it will struggle. You will notice it by sound, feel and response. You HAVE to stop BEFORE it struggles. If you stop RIGHT THERE, there will be no harm to the pack.

3.0v is an average. Some good packs can be dropped a bit lower without harm. Some cheap ones will start to heat-up at 3.3v.

The most important thing is you NEVER want you pack to heat, even less to puff. If your pack start to swell, STOP USING IT. I mean stop using forever.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote