View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2005, 17:42   #12
JohnnyDo

Send a message via MSN to JohnnyDo
i guess it depends on the features set of yoru charger. I remember reading long loing time ago in a galexy far far away that there are chargers that are timed such that they charge full current for say 5 minutes then go into a lower current mode for 5 minutes, so on and so forth .. the idea being as to not overheat the battery pack. it's possible your charger implements something along this line. without knowing the make and model or being able to read the manual for your charger I am unsure what they mean by fast/slow.

useually when it's mentioned, fast charge is 1C or greater (1 hour or less charge time) while slow charge is a trickle charge typically around 1/16C so the pack is charged in about 16 hours.

you are correct that for NiMH packs you need to charge at 5A or less ... specifically in your case a max of 3A as I have said in my last post
"NiMH packs shoudl only be charged at a max of 1C so a 1100mAh NiMH pack shoudl be charged at 1 * 1100 = 1100ma (1.1A) the peak charger will shut off automatically when peak voltage is acheived."

NiMH packs cannot safely be charged higher then 1C without damage or the possibility of damage to the pack such that it's life cycle and performance will degrade.
JohnnyDo is offline   Reply With Quote