View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2005, 19:18   #18
mcguyver

my comparison of "relative" force exerted would be a man with a 200 lb of force on a sledge hammer hitting a 1lb weight. would the energy of that impact have an effect on the hammer or would it nearly all go to the weight with litttle effect on the hammer. this is a simple suposition based on mass and energy differences. if a bb weighs 200 times less that a piston and we ignore pressure differences it just doesn't seem right to me. i still think that for the fraction of a second that the hop seal allows pressure to build up in the piston to bb volume may itself be enough to start the piston decelerating and the net energy from the expansion of this volume is what propels the bb, adding to it the expansion of remaining air in the cylinder as the piston impacts the cylinder head. your numbers bear out some things for sure. my understanding of what you're saying is that energy must go somewhere and if no bb is present then it must be going only into the mechbox. my thinking is that some energy goes to moving air down the barrel (bb present or not) and that energy dissipated by the mechbox is always going to be significant. also, did you test with hop on full to off to see if that makes a difference, just for intersts sake?
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote