View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2021, 11:06   #193
Walms

I sent a letter to all 6 NDP PM's in Ontario (even outside my riding) and got the following reply from Lindsay Mathyssen, of London-Fanshawe

""Dear Jeff,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with me on this issue.

New Democrats support the goal of removing military-style assault weapons from the streets as one of a number of measures that are needed to reduce gun-related violence in Canada, including allowing municipalities to ban handguns within their jurisdictions.

However, New Democrats are concerned that Bill C-21 will prohibit the use of film props and airsoft guns. There are legitimate uses for realistic-looking guns in the film and sporting industries and it is unclear how banning airsoft and replica firearms would make Canadians safer.

The government should be focused on reducing gun smuggling from the United States and devoting further resources to law enforcement agencies such as Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and the RCMP. New Democrats believe that investing more resources at the border would go a long way to addressing the introduction of illegally smuggled arms from the United States – arms that later circulate in Canadian communities. Regrettably, successive Conservative and Liberal governments have consistently cut funding and CBSA positions.

In the past, we have seen the Liberals put forward symbolic measures and play politics on a safety issue, instead of introducing measures that would really make a difference.

When C-21 reaches the House of Commons’ Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security, New Democrats will work to ensure that this bill does what it is intended to do – to make Canadians safer, while ensuring appropriate accommodations are made for the film and sporting industries for the responsible use of airsoft and replica weapons.

Sincerely,

Lindsay Mathyssen, MP
London-Fanshawe""
Walms is offline   Reply With Quote