Thread: Battery FAQ
View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:37   #25
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Kos, you're talking about deep cycle batteries. Typical applications such as marine and UPS devices. Generally deep cycle batteries are very large, dense and heavy and many times the size of an airsoft battery. They have more mass which to act as heatsink, and it fact some are designed with heat sink technology built it. Airsoft batteries are chemically similar, BUT, they are by no means like that. They lack the mass to bleed that heat quickly and are not as dense.
I am not talking about deep cycle batteries, I am talking about normal packs like the ones we are using in our guns (an in my R/C cars). Deep cycle batteries are a catagory of lead based batteries used in marine and other high demand situations. Nickel based cells are made to be discharged almost to the bottom.

I do know that most people are using 2/3A cells and I do know that you can discharge a 2/3A made pack at 10A. I just did it with my 5 packs today (1200mAh Ni-Mh cells, brand GoldPeak, in 7.2v). They did got warm, but not hot. I was a long time I did not discharged them and I have seen the huge difference between before and after cycling. So yes I know what I am talking about. Yes I know that most people are not using larger cell types and yes I know that heat can deteriorate batteries.

Now let's please continue this in PM.

*New version of the FAQ will be put on soon.*
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote