View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2009, 22:11   #26
hondatech

Well, after throwing some money and upgrade parts at my AGM M4:

G&P hopup and inner barrel - replaced the stock inoperable (and after a few hundred rounds, flat out broken) one. Had the barrel milled down the CQBR length, and fitted a G&P 10.5" barrel

G&P anti-rotation pins - installed to replace stock hammer pin, which broke in half and fell out. Hopefully these ones will stay in place

Airsoft Surgeon bolt carrier and bolt/nozzle - AS bolt carrier actually allows the forward assist to operate properly, and the bolt nozzle replaced the stock one that, you guessed it, broke.

RA-Tech bolt catch - Put this in, along with part of the spring from a ballpoint pen, and threw out some of the stock internal bolt catch locking bits. Works flawlessly now.

G&P Aluminium buffer - No real need to replace this, it was cheap and I like the idea of the metal buffer with a nice rubber snubber on the end. Much nicer then the stock plastic one. Better? Dunno.

Anyway, I was able to game it yesterday. It chrono'd at about 385-390 with .20s. Using Madbull .30s, it would shoot pretty decent groupings, able to hit a man sized target at about 45 meters on our outdoor range. Worked reasonably well in the field, every mag worth of BBs suffered some sort of jam, double feed, BB stuck in the underside of the bolt/nozzle, etc. Annoying, but I got to practice my Magpul AotTC stuff lots... I used it during the morning, then switched back to my PTW for the afternoon.

Was it effective? Sure. Semi is "reasonably" consistant, anything more then about 5 rounds on auto seems to cool it down rapidly. Repeated jams/FTF/etc were a bit of a pain, but more realistic I guess?

Was it fun? Fuck yeah. The act of firing it and the sounds it makes are way better then any electric. A teammate commented on the ominous "click-snap!" noise of loading a mag and hitting the bolt release as heard out in the woods.

Will it replace my PTW? No way. People can whine about PTW accuracy and reliablity all they want. With a Mcguyver'd hop up, mine has great accuracy and consistancy, and I've gamed it through the worst weather the We(S)t Coast can throw at us year round without a hiccup. If the companies can design a system for a GBBR that can do that stuff while having the sheer fun of gas system, then I'm 100% in. Until then, the GBBR is just gonna stay a fun mess-around gun for me.

Last edited by hondatech; August 18th, 2009 at 00:46..
hondatech is offline   Reply With Quote