Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Airsoft Guns Discussion (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   0.25 vs 0.28 (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=101867)

Ragboy April 8th, 2010 09:03

0.25 vs 0.28

i have an m14 with an m120 spring and a 6.04 tightbore ( i think) and ever sicne i got it i've been shooting .2's and the trajectory always goes crazy and my gun overhops like crazy ( as in even at minimum setting it still over hops)...

so i know that the answer to my problem is to get heavier ammoto steady my trajectory and hopup, but i don't know which i should use between 0.28 and 0.25 g... will there actually be an appreciable difference between the two ?

thanks in advance for the input

Shooting Addict April 8th, 2010 09:18

Try .30 bastards shouldn't over hop with those, they shot like a dream in my guns.

Lestat April 8th, 2010 09:29

Give This Thread a look

GBear April 8th, 2010 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat_d (Post 1206483)
Give This Thread a look

Damn you, I was looking for that thread to paste here.

CDN_Stalker April 8th, 2010 10:21

Quite a large difference in range and accuracy between the 0.25g and the 0.28g, the heavier 0.28g work awesome outdoors, have better stability and better brush penetration.

And I agree, the 0.30g will work even better, and from my testing (with Bastards), there is little to no velocity drop with these compared to the 0.28g.

Ragboy April 8th, 2010 14:38

allright cool thx... i havent actually had a chance to shoot with either weights because i have nothing but .2s... but after reading the thread im definitaly getting de .28's. i was only afraid that it would drop the fps to far or something but i guess my gun is made to shoot heavier weights.

so even if i put .28 my hop up should easily handle it?

Donster April 8th, 2010 14:41

i have a similar setup to you. i only use .30g Bastards in my M14. I used to use .28, but then tried .30. They shoot WAY better. Economically, i dont shoot enough to warrant 2000 round bags. I just little enough to desire precision over quantity.

CDN_Stalker April 8th, 2010 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragboy (Post 1206697)
allright cool thx... i havent actually had a chance to shoot with either weights because i have nothing but .2s... but after reading the thread im definitaly getting de .28's. i was only afraid that it would drop the fps to far or something but i guess my gun is made to shoot heavier weights.

so even if i put .28 my hop up should easily handle it?

Get the BB Bastard 0.28g or 0.30g. When I did my testing, as I said earlier, little to no fps drop. But an interesting thing, I also tried SIIS 0.30g since i had some, and compared the the Bastards, the SIIS BBs had about a 20fps drop compared to the Bastards. Shows not only are the Bastards more consistant, but are also closer to 6mm than other brands, which gives you good velocity due to less air leakage past the BB while in the barrel.

L473ncy April 8th, 2010 15:20

I have a question about .30's. Since they drop your FPS so much do you have to lead your shots by a significant amount?

Obviously it will go where you want it to and have the brush penetration and energy for the person on the other side to feel the hit (due to less energy loss over time/distance because of momentum) but if you're shooting at 1J does it make sense to run such heavy weights? ie. using .30's at 1J you're shooting a little slower than 270 giving time for the person on the other end to do the "matrix bullet dodge" (unless you lead your shots). I've heard of people using .28's in CAPS and in some other games but is the loss of velocity for brush penetration and accuracy really worth it outside of the case of "CAPS shooting"? It would seem that .25's are the best for this due to the increased accuracy and brush penetration but only giving up a little bit of speed (shooting a little under 300) so the BB can still reach the target in an acceptable time without significantly leading your shots.

NOTE: I'm talking about guns that fire 1J or less. Obviously at 1.4J and even 1.2J will .28's and .30's be awesome.

I wonder though, because of Japans 1J rule what they do over there with their BB weights, whether they use .28's or heavier BB's at the cost of highly reduced velocity or .25's reducing their speeds to a little less than 300. If aqua could reply or if anyone who's played in Japan and has extensive experience could reply that would be great.

Gunny_McSmith April 8th, 2010 15:24

I remember reading that for 360fps and lower.... Would shoot great with .20-.25
and anything over that should shoot with higher weigh......

m102404 April 8th, 2010 15:32

I'd mirror Stalker's FPS comments exactly. Same findings for me on 0.28 vs. 0.30 FPS.

I would add the following:
- BB's are so cheap, buy a couple of different brands/weights and try them out. Once you're tuned into your rifle, you'll be able to pick up on differences within a mag of shots. Finding that perfect match (regardless of weight or brand) is so very worth it. Just give the extra BBs away to some new guy starting out...or save them for grenades or for later.

And yes...you'd need to adjust your aim for leading targets for heavier BBs compared to lighter BBs. But with more consistent/predictable shot placement you'll be better able to do so with heavier BBs.

CDN_Stalker April 8th, 2010 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by L473ncy (Post 1206747)
I have a question about .30's. Since they drop your FPS so much do you have to lead your shots by a significant amount?

Obviously it will go where you want it to and have the brush penetration and energy for the person on the other side to feel the hit (due to less energy loss over time/distance because of momentum) but if you're shooting at 1J does it make sense to run such heavy weights? ie. using .30's at 1J you're shooting a little slower than 270 giving time for the person on the other end to do the "matrix bullet dodge" (unless you lead your shots). I've heard of people using .28's in CAPS and in some other games but is the loss of velocity for brush penetration and accuracy really worth it outside of the case of "CAPS shooting"? It would seem that .25's are the best for this due to the increased accuracy and brush penetration but only giving up a little bit of speed (shooting a little under 300) so the BB can still reach the target in an acceptable time without significantly leading your shots.

NOTE: I'm talking about guns that fire 1J or less. Obviously at 1.4J and even 1.2J will .28's and .30's be awesome.

I wonder though, because of Japans 1J rule what they do over there with their BB weights, whether they use .28's or heavier BB's at the cost of highly reduced velocity or .25's reducing their speeds to a little less than 300. If aqua could reply or if anyone who's played in Japan and has extensive experience could reply that would be great.

I won't use any weight under 0.28g in my GBBs, I love the accuracy and range the heavier rounds give me. Not really noticable the slightly lower fps, and in my MP5A5 I run 0.28g, it only shoots around 300fps now. Not a huge difference in technique to adapt.

VooDooPeteK April 8th, 2010 19:48

so you guys are saying with my stock G&G gr16 (m4 carbine) I should still use the .28's instead of the .25's I am using now and will not see a drop in FPS/Range or anything?

kalnaren April 8th, 2010 19:55

My MP5 is stock TM internally... and I won't use 0.28's in it. I have crap range with BB's that heavy in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VooDooPeteK (Post 1206948)
so you guys are saying with my stock G&G gr16 (m4 carbine) I should still use the .28's instead of the .25's I am using now and will not see a drop in FPS/Range or anything?

You might see a slight drop, but the overal performance gain will be well worth it.

VooDooPeteK April 8th, 2010 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalnaren (Post 1206952)
My MP5 is stock TM internally... and I won't use 0.28's in it. I have crap range with BB's that heavy in it.

You might see a slight drop, but the overal performance gain will be well worth it.

well for $15 I guess I will pick up a bag and try them out :)

Thanks