Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   General (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Product malfunction alert: change in Coleman tanks (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=28675)

MadMax September 19th, 2006 02:32

Product malfunction alert: change in Coleman tanks

I have found some problems with recent Coleman propane bottles. I have found that recent bottles marked with lot numbers starting with 05xxxx appear to be subject to some tooling changes at Coleman's factory.

Signs that you have a problematic bottle:

-Tank end of propane adaptor is difficult to remove from propane tank
-Propane adaptor "locks" open and sprays propane even when the GBB magazine is removed from the fill probe

Cause of adaptor issues with recent tanks:

-Plastic retaining ring (white ring) which traps propane tank oring is pressed too deeply
-Over pressed retainer ring does not allow space for oring to deform into when tank end of the probe
-Trapped oring binds with adaptor probe preventing it from moving freely

Older tanks have a small gap (approximately 0.05") for the oring to deform into. Newer tanks have no gap.

OLD TANK:
http://www.pbase.com/airsoft_innovat...e/67129752.jpg

NEW TANK:
http://www.pbase.com/airsoft_innovat...e/67128755.jpg

I'm working on a simple tool to fix this problem. It's made of readily available parts. I'll be making a post soon detailling how airsofters can make their own tool made from parts that can be obtained at hardware stores. I'll also be carrying the parts which will be supplied from my online stores.

If you've had the problems that I've described above, please look for the lot number printed on the lower half of the bottle and post it here. The lot number is printed in dark blue ink and usually has 6 digits followed by 4 digits that look like a time stamp e.g. 052306 18:27

trufret September 19th, 2006 02:58

Is this change strickly colman or is it affecting other brands or pronae too?

sukivan September 19th, 2006 03:06

I bet this was the work of the powerful Green Gas lobby.

MadMax September 19th, 2006 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukivan
I bet this was the work of the powerful Green Gas lobby.

Haha, I kind of doubt it. I think someone changed something at Coleman and didn't realize that it kind of affects their product. It's more of a hassle to affix things like stove fittings or torches. I noticed it just as their retainer rings changed from natural white nylon to an opaque white filled nylon.

VovaT September 19th, 2006 03:38

I was wondering what was wrong with the tank, i got it 3 weeks ago, and ended up using it for a BBQ rather then the pistol.

MadMax September 19th, 2006 03:49

Sorry, it took me awhile to completely trace this issue. It doesn't happen with every tank and I haven't gotten many reports of malfunctions in the field.

It looks like there is an easy fix that can be done with readily available bits. I'm going to document it as soon as I can. So far it looks like about $1 of hardware store fasteners can be used make a tool to fix the problem with Coleman tanks.

I do not know if the longer Bernzomatic type tanks have similar issues to the Coleman bottles.

ILLusion September 19th, 2006 04:00

Another alternative is to go to Ozark Trail propane, easily available at Wal-Mart. I also find it doesn't stink as bad as Coleman.

00Russ December 17th, 2006 18:34

Thanks for the info, my problematic bottle’s lot number is 052506 12:57.

Dirty Deeds December 17th, 2006 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILLusion (Post 354453)
Another alternative is to go to Ozark Trail propane, easily available at Wal-Mart. I also find it doesn't stink as bad as Coleman.

I second this.

Hunter Killer December 17th, 2006 19:17

could this cuase any hazard to the user?

Freedom Fighter December 17th, 2006 19:24

Carl, I am using a Coleman Propane Tank (#052406) with no problems at all.

MadMax December 17th, 2006 21:21

Not all 05xxxx series bottles are problematic. I think I was able to reproduce the issue on only one 1/25 bottles or so. This made troubleshooting really tough. I ended up going to Canadian Tire with a number drill set measuring oring diameters for about a hundred bottles. Amazingly nobody called security on me. I bought the 9 worst cans and started looking at them more closely.

underground December 17th, 2006 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILLusion (Post 354453)

Is it the same procedure to apply the adaptor to as the coleman propane tanks?

Ibby December 17th, 2006 21:35

***Warning! Do NOT try this at home!***

I noticed a couple of propane bottles I have kicking around my place have this problem. I swap bottles around for lots of stuff so I just put them in the shop to use instead of with my airsoft gear.
I was curious though, what would happen if you put the adapter onto a problematic bottle and lit it. I did this out in the yard. HUGE ass flame came out (of course) so I rolled the bottle down the road where it took off like a rocket back towards my yard. It nailed my fence and destroyed a good chunk of it as the bottle exploded. Now I say again, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! I did this for a test and because I like blowing stuff up. I apologize in advance as I didn't think to video the fun. The propane adapter came through absolutely unscathed.

One more time, DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF. I had LOTS of personal protective equipment, firefighting gear and other safety equipment, as well as experience with this stuff. If you like your fingers, play safe.

MadMorbius December 17th, 2006 21:41

Awesome.