Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Can GBB mags be Abused?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old May 25th, 2011, 20:31   #1
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
Can GBB mags be Abused?

So i was wondering, cuz i do quite a bit of CQB back in hong kong and we use handguns alot and i was wondering if it is possible for me to drop mags to the floor when speed reloading without fucking them up, for example in IPSC they usually drop their mags to the floor for a speed reload, even in airsoft IPSC ive seen a couple vids where some ppl do,

so is it safer to do it with a marui hi capa? or can i do it with my KSC glock 17?
i hate having to do tactical reloads in the heat of a battle =.= really want to know if i wont damage my mags to the extent they will leak gas if i drop them from my gun
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 20:39   #2
coach
aka coachster

I would say glock mags would leak sooner then hicapa's because of the different base plates. Hicapa's have a larger bumper that seem to offer a rad more shock resistance.

Here for CAPS, there's usually a mat placed where most mag changes might occur, which helps absorb some shock.

But YMMV as it all depends how they fall. Personally, I wouldn't do it for indoor CQB games but might at an outdoor field where there's grassy areas.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 20:53   #3
ap27

If by any chance the mag falls on the feed lip, top-side down, theres a very good chance the feed lip will break off. A direct drop on the base plate might be bad as well.

ap27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 20:53   #4
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachster View Post
I would say glock mags would leak sooner then hicapa's because of the different base plates. Hicapa's have a larger bumper that seem to offer a rad more shock resistance.

Here for CAPS, there's usually a mat placed where most mag changes might occur, which helps absorb some shock.

But YMMV as it all depends how they fall. Personally, I wouldn't do it for indoor CQB games but might at an outdoor field where there's grassy areas.
so its ok if i drop it on a grass field yeah? cuz we have some speed ball sized fields in hong kong where we play pistol only, and it would be great if i could just speed reload and continue moving :P so yeh
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 20:57   #5
Ross

It's bad to get dirt in them and someone could step on them once you drop them. If you have a surplus of mags and don't mind buying an extra one every once in a while, go nuts. Just make sure they are cleaned.
Old May 25th, 2011, 21:19   #6
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloudernow View Post
so its ok if i drop it on a grass field yeah? cuz we have some speed ball sized fields in hong kong where we play pistol only, and it would be great if i could just speed reload and continue moving :P so yeh
I wouldn't say it's okay, but it's not something I'd have to think long about if I "had" to do a speed reload.

As mentioned, you have to worry about losing them, getting dirt packed into it from someone stepping on it or breaking the main seal or feed lips.

It's really all up to you to decide if it's something you can afford to do.

Honestly, I'd much rather do a tactical reload and toss the mag in front of me or into the dump pouch. I really don't like going back looking for dropped gear. If you practice your tac reloads and drill it into yourself to develop the muscle memory, you can be just as fast as a speed reload.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 21:27   #7
ShelledPants

We speed reload indoors on wooden flooring all the time. Mags break. It happens.

Which is worth more to you, being a high speed no drag operator, or breaking the bank over some magazines?

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 21:37   #8
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

You could get magpul speedplates for your glock, they're rubber so it should help soften the fall.
Old May 26th, 2011, 02:02   #9
Amos

With my KWA CZ75 I throw my mags everywhere all the time.

No damage at all, just need to keep 'em clean.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 22:01   #10
Reckless

in the middle of a firefight, my TM Desert eagle mags drop and fall where ever they fall LOL worse I've had so far is dirt and crap INSIDE the magazine

but before every game day I check my mags over for dirt/debris and damage ... so far.. so good

TM DE mags are also pretty heavy, metal baseplates... with the exception of the feed lips on top, but they always fall straight down plate first due to weight.

Quote:
"SIR!, you've gone mad with power!"
"Ofcourse I have, you ever gone mad without power, it's useless, no one pays any attention"
The Cavalry Comes
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 13:56   #11
Cinco Boy
a.k.a. por-no

Use a quality dump pouch
Cinco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 14:20   #12
m102404
Tys

Depends on the mag a bit...and on the surface A LOT.

At CAPS we drop mags all the time. The base pates, feed lips, etc...take a beating. That's what happens when you drop a TM Hicapa mag on a hardwood floor at speed.

We do put out rubber mats...and it definitely takes the sting out of the impact. However...sometimes it seems like they are just as likely to bounce off the mat, flip over and land on the feed lips.

In a field game....I wouldn't drop them...you're likely not to find them again if you have to relocate.

In a dark indoor game...I wouldn't drop them if it's dark and guys are running all over the place....but you do stand a better chance of finding them again.

A retention reload is a good thing to practice. Having a pouch/dump pouch is handy too, but any pocket will do in a pinch.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 14:38   #13
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap27 View Post
If by any chance the mag falls on the feed lip, top-side down, theres a very good chance the feed lip will break off. A direct drop on the base plate might be bad as well.
Agreed. Consider the bounce, if it lands on the base it'll bounce up and rotate, likely landing on the feedlips. Also consider the mag hitting a pouch, leg, foot, etc. and bouncing. Breakage, denting will be highly likely overall. GBB mags are made of cast aluminum and are rather soft, the last thing anyone wants to do is drop one on purpose.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:41   #14
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I used to tether my M4 mags to my OTV so they wouldn't hit the ground before I got decent double mag pouches. You could tether your pistol mags to yourself lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion