Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft basic training

:

General

Old September 22nd, 2013, 01:21   #1
Jayne Finch

Airsoft basic training

So I've been kicking this idea around for a while and I'm looking for some community input. The basic idea is fairly self explanatory. This would be a one day course covering the main points of getting into airsoft.

The course would be open to minors likely starting around age 14+. Hopefully to get them in the right headspace and attitude to become trustworthy respectful players that will make a good addition to the community rather than the less than trustworthy, chip on their shoulder, i know everything n00bs we have all seen at games.

So heres what I've come up with so far.

-the rules. A basic rundown of the regular do's and don'ts, no duffs, medical emergency protocols, mercies, parlays, fps limits, etc.

-the roles. Basic play types and game roles for play styles. Fast and light, slow and heavy, small team, large squad, sniper/recce, etc.

-the guns. Basic rundown of the types of weapons available and how to pick the one for you based on the style of gameplay you will be playing and your physical size.

-the gear. Picking what is best for you vs. What looks cool. Explaining the options and the way to set your loadout for maximum use. (i will likely borrow the "what model are you working under" post by Oborous as he did a fantastic job on it.

-weapons handling. Basic weapons handling and safety. Dont look down the barrel, flagging yourself, muzzle dicipline, trigger dicipline, basic firing positions and weapon manipulation.

-tactics and movement. Just the basics. Moving alone and with others, sector coverage, simple ambushes and dispersals, bounding both attacking and falling back, leapfrog movement, etc.

I'm betting that by the time this has all been run through and questions have been asked and answered, and the weapons handling and tactics have been practiced we may have time for a quick game to finish up the day. For the bulk of the course weapons wouldn't even be required so its great for the guys who don't know what to buy or aren't old enough yet. Plus i have a decent armoury of weapons they can work with.

So i think thats where i am sitting at this point but i'm open to thoughts and suggestions from the community. I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything so what else do you guys think a new player should know?

"Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

"i don't have a license to kill. but i have a learners permit!"
Jayne Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:47   #2
slowbird

I think it's a great idea! I would have gone for it a few months ago.

I'm assuming it's a basics for Airsoft beginners with a bit more focus on playing outdoors? (since the event will be held outdoors)

Some stuff that I learned from playing outdoors that I wish I knew before hand would include Bug-sprays (and the dangers of DEET) and how covering up can protect from the little critters.

I believe the basics of tactics and movement is a biggie. Both indoors and outdoors I have experienced some things that could easily have been avoided.

Also, a big help to me was being loaned (rather graciously) different AEG's to use that allowed me to figure out what I did want in a primary and what I didn't want. It really helped.

I'd love to help out if available. I think I have a good persepective as I am still fairly new but I have learned alot.

Last edited by slowbird; September 22nd, 2013 at 02:50..
slowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:56   #3
drk242

yup we already do that.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:37   #4
Jayne Finch

*damn double post*

Last edited by Jayne Finch; September 22nd, 2013 at 11:40..
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:39   #5
Jayne Finch

Cool. I figured it had been done before. How often do you guys run an event in barrie? Any usefull input?

Old September 22nd, 2013, 17:14   #6
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

we used to do these WAAAAAAY back in the day at noob days in Mb, probably stopped because not enough people knew what they were talking about, but it was extremely successful.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 17:25   #7
j_march

The instructors did not know enough about what they were talking about??
Old September 22nd, 2013, 17:32   #8
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

First lesson in Airsoft... Come 2 hours late, no one minds! ...

Another good lesson that I have run in the past to open up some eyes, effective range of Airsoft guns. Some players still think they can shoot a mile, when in reality, your average AEG gets 150-200 feet, man size target, and even then its 1 in 3 shots on average. Some upgraded set ups exceed these.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 20:23   #9
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_march View Post
The instructors did not know enough about what they were talking about??
We lost a lot of top end people and the guys who replaced them just wanted to run the organization from their mom's basement lol
Those of us that were left had to much life to live to be bothered committing the time needed to making shit happen =/
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 21:01   #10
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

The "noob day" is running every year almost. But IMO, having minors in it is not productive. Unless the guy is 17 and turning 18 soon, I don't see why we would allow minors to learn if they can't play yet. They should instead be patient and come back when they are older.
We all know that if we encourage them too soon, they will get gear and play on their own where it's not allowed.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 22:58   #11
slowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade) View Post
First lesson in Airsoft... Come 2 hours late, no one minds! ...
Good point. I have experienced this at UA. Alot of young players sitting around chatting about airsoft rather than playing and not being ready to go when everyone else is. (chair-softing someone called it)

Being on time and not tardy is just proper manners which alot of people need some training on.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:08   #12
Jayne Finch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
The "noob day" is running every year almost. But IMO, having minors in it is not productive. Unless the guy is 17 and turning 18 soon, I don't see why we would allow minors to learn if they can't play yet. They should instead be patient and come back when they are older.
We all know that if we encourage them too soon, they will get gear and play on their own where it's not allowed.
This is a bit of a double edged sword. If we shun them completely they may choose to go it alone and do something foolish. On the other hand you have a valid point that they may go do something foolish anyway.

My hope is that if we have a proper introduction with face time and proper guidance they will be less likely to go rogue. I know that's how I was brought into this sport. My goal is to let the minors find out if this is really for them or not. If they choose to get into the sport when they are of age then at least when they come to their first game they aren't completly ignorant and useless. Maybe bump the age to 16+?

Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:01   #13
j_march

So what should be a minimum age limit for such a thing? It all depends on maturity level. Is 16 or 17 old enough to introduce someone to it??
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:33   #14
MultipleParadox

16-17, more 17 methinks sounds like a good age

Like said above, it might do more harm than good teasing a 14 yo kid, letting him fiddle with guns and and then tell him "sorry pal, you gotta wait at least another 2 years, but probably more like 4..." That sounds cruel to me :P

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:31   #15
JadedKommando

I know NSA (Nova Scotia Airsoft) runs a training event once a year. Although I have not attended, there is always lots of chatter on the forums. My opinion is its a good idea but 16 should be the minimum age, any younger than that and you mind as well break out the crayons and chocolate milk, lol

Keep Calm Sabot Battle On
JadedKommando is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General