Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

FPS limits at fields

:

Newbie Tank

Old August 9th, 2011, 14:32   #1
CR0M

FPS limits at fields

so, if you can somewhat import guns that shoot over 427 fps from the states, then why not have a 427fps limit on fields?

im sure there are some here and there, but for the most part the limits seem to be 400 fps...

is there a big difference from 400 - 427 fps?
Old August 9th, 2011, 14:53   #2
Grey Ops

Problem: You're proposing that the field limit be set to 427 fps, and import in guns that shoot @427 fps. Sounds like a set-up with godlike tolerances and consistency. So conceivably you'd have to have a limit of say... 450 fps? And the difference between 400 and 450 is fairly significant I'd say.
Old August 9th, 2011, 15:14   #3
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0M View Post
so, if you can somewhat import guns that shoot over 427 fps from the states, then why not have a 427fps limit on fields?
why not ask the paintball field owners why they set it at what they do?
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 15:16   #4
ShelledPants

Some fields have adopted the big boy rules in the GTA and Northern Ontario. Shooting up to 500fps with rifles and 550+ with sniper rifles. These fields do not allow morons and most players know each other by about 1 degree of seperation at most.

Truth be told, it is not hard to find players with the right midset for high fps, it is just hard to place high fps rules into the hands of new or moronic players.

I have played CQB games (also including large long spaces... Picton complex) with 400+ rules in effect and it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, it is all about reasonable protection and reasonable force. Wear a face mask, wear gloves, wear long sleeve shirt, dont full auto at close range... but these are self policed rules and not enforced by the game control, and this is how it should be. It is just a shame that common sense is a superpower...

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 15:16   #5
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0M View Post
is there a big difference from 400 - 427 fps?

In many areas, the difference between CQB FPS (350fps) and outdoor FPS (400fps) is 50 FPS. Those are the velocities at which the risk of injury is sufficiently reduced to be considered 'acceptable' for the typical engagement distances of those environments.

Those velocities are not entirely arbitrary: they were found through trial and error. In the days I started playing, I did see 420 FPS guns in CQB, and yes, people got hurt.

Would going from 400 to 427 fps outdoors make a huge difference? At range, it would hit a bit harder but not much. Mid-range it would sting a lot more. But if someone happened to hit you at the minimum engagement distance there's a good chance you'd have blood or even have to dig out the BB from under your skin: probably not something you want and definitely not what most people, who came out for a fun day with friends, want to have to deal with.
Old August 9th, 2011, 15:44   #6
Matt 'Maverick' Watts

One of the main reasons paintball fields have limits is their insurance policies. Insurance companies dictate what the on-field velocity and bps paintball/airsoft guns can shoot at. If fields violate that, their insurance becomes null and void.
These insurance policies are also why you see a lot of 'paintball-approved goggles only' at fields. It's not the fields being idiots, it's the insurance companies.
Matt 'Maverick' Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 17:49   #7
CR0M

Just a little inquiry is all... I like the 400fps limit, but if the hurt level is really different for an extra 27fps then that's not cool
Old August 9th, 2011, 19:02   #8
hollywood...
cranky old man

do not take a shot you would not want to recieve,..... we are all friends here.
Old August 9th, 2011, 22:47   #9
ragnagna

I think that the rule of: CQB 350 fps, AEG 400 fps, bolt action 450 fps and 500 for certified sniper is perfect, it allow the snipers to have a little advantage against the others players. Just downgrade your spring if your gun too high fps.. that is it.

Last edited by ragnagna; August 10th, 2011 at 13:15..
ragnagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 23:17   #10
FreelancerInc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnagna View Post
I think that the rule of: CQB 350 fps, AEG 400 fps, bolt action 450 fps and 500 for certified sniper is perfect, it allow the snipers to have a little advantage against the others players. Just downgrade your spring after importing your gun.. that is it.

rag dont encourage him to import a gun. DO NOT TRY TO IMPORT A GUN!!!! get aved and find one on the site and/or a reputable dealer
Old August 10th, 2011, 13:14   #11
ragnagna

Yeahhh ahhhh ehmmmm, sorry 8-) fixed and BTW, he's Age Verified.
ragnagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 14:00   #12
CR0M

ive got guns, and if it was illegal all the way to import a gun shooting over 427 then I wouldnt never mention it ... I always thought it would be awkward at the border telling customs officers to bring out a chrony and test the gun for over 427 lol

I just thought if people / dealers could import guns easier with them being 427fps and above.... actually never mind lol /thread
Old August 10th, 2011, 14:17   #13
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Your point is very valid

More and more the standard gun out of the box will shoot 430 fps.

this is very different than in the past where out of the box FPS was frequently less than 350 fps.

This generates significant issues regarding new players who show up with their new gun only to find that they can't use it at most games and are looking at the the rather daunting prospect of tearing down their new gun , cracking open the gearbox and swapping the spring. Then hoping they can get it all back together again.

At my outdoor field I set the FPS at 450

personally I would not have much of an issue if 450 was set as the standard fps for all outdoor fields.

Granted the risk of injury is increased, but that risk can be mitigated with proper gear.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 14:36   #14
FreelancerInc

If u set the field rifle limit to 450 u then hafta increase the sniper fps to at or above 500 whic technically makes it a firearm and thus not allowed to shoot at people. As mentioned above the ratings for cqb outdoors and snipers works very well
Old August 10th, 2011, 15:40   #15
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreelancerInc View Post
If u set the field rifle limit to 450 u then hafta increase the sniper fps to at or above 500 whic technically makes it a firearm and thus not allowed to shoot at people. As mentioned above the ratings for cqb outdoors and snipers works very well
yeah , no, you see the only reason that airsoft guns can be imported at 430 fps is because at this level of fps they are deemed to be firearms. but not subject to licensing regulations.. you need to be over 500fps and in excess of 5.7 joules of muzzle energy to be subject to licensing.. I doubt that any airsoft gun could get there considering the mass of projectiles we use.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank