Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft ballistics... Things you should know and add to, facts, debunking myths, etc.

:

Upgrades & Modifications

View Poll Results: Airsoft ballistics information, worth being a full time sticky?
Yes 15 78.95%
No 2 10.53%
Trunk Monkey! Don't care!!!! 2 10.53%
Don't make useless polls that attract spam bots!!!! 3,000 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 13th, 2009, 22:15   #1
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Airsoft ballistics... Things you should know and add to, facts, debunking myths, etc.

STICKY!!!!

Ok, first off this is to lay out information, as well as prove/disprove many myths about 6mm BBs shot by airsoft guns at various velocities, for various distances, with various weights. Has annoyed me for years hearing new players (and vets actually) wanting close to 400fps as possible (or over it with AEGs set up as 'counter sinper rifles'), thinking they will achieve a magical performance booster from higher fps. Sorry to say, only part of that is true. If my one of my TM MP5s (shooting 360fps with .20g with minimal upgrades) can clear 200ft straight using 0.28g BBs; and my M24 when set up for 340fps can get 0.30g BBs out to 300ft easy (maybe a 20ft grouping). Other side of things, my other MP5SD I had set up with a tightbore, 300mm long, shooting close to 400fps all last year, same rubber and BBs, had a hard time dealing with even 150ft with reasonable groupings. And my M24 set up for close to 500fps had numerous flyers at distances, and even hitting a guy at 200ft with 0.30g was a pure luck factor.

This is going to be pure honest reports of what an airsoft gun CAN do, and what it can't do. I've seen various accounts of guys claiming distances that are unthinkable, only to find out they have no clue what distance they shot from just because what I KNOW is 150ft, they see as 250ft, etc. I've done and continue to do extensive distance training using just my eyes, and am always within about 20ft to 30ft out to 300ft. So what I say here isn't bullshit, is what I observe, and actual field testing will be honest as well, eyes, seeing wind conditions, etc. Any that have seen any threads by me in the past or present, and those that know me, will verify I don't tell "fishing stories" at all.

So, here's my first installment, I just downgraded my CA M24 from close to 500fps, am currently sitting around 370fps now using 0.20g BBs, and ALL BBs will be BB Bastards with my testing this year, including all the new 'Sniper Grade" ammo.

My initial review on BB Bastards:

A study in airsoft ammunition (primarily BB Bastards) - Airsoft Canada

And the more recent one outlining the new heavy Bastards:

BB Bastard "Sniper Grade" 0.36g and 0.40g review - Airsoft Canada

BTW, fuck "Spam bots", I have a Trunk Monkey.

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; March 14th, 2009 at 11:52..
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 22:20   #2
mcguyver

I think there's alot of variables to consider, not just the facets of velocity, weight and distance.

Some guns don't perform well at velocities above 400 fps, while others perform well at 500+, depends on alot of things.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 22:31   #3
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Ok, my first installment is testing my CA M24 while it's shooting at around 370fps (chrony now, targets later at 30ft controlled space):

0.20g

0.30g

0.36g

0.40g

Old March 13th, 2009, 22:35   #4
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
I think there's alot of variables to consider, not just the facets of velocity, weight and distance.

Some guns don't perform well at velocities above 400 fps, while others perform well at 500+, depends on alot of things.
Yes, I know, is why I'm letting others post in here their experiences as well. I have only the guns I work with, others can add to it as long as they conduct their own experiences with the guns they own, aka. chrony and distance testing, not "I hit a guy at 300ft using 0.25g BB from a stock TM PSG-1 five years ago" kind of stuff. I want honesty in this thread, and I want factual stuff, this isn't a brag thread, this is all about experience and pure facts from knowledgable people to help others learn what a BB can and can't do. I know a BB will become more unstable when moving through different air densities the faster it moves, due to the hop up applied to compensate for the BB weight, will have a faster spin rate and also have a larger obstruction in the barrel (hop up) to pass by. Is something I've seen repeatedly over the years with all kinds of ammo weights.

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; March 13th, 2009 at 22:45..
Old March 13th, 2009, 22:44   #5
The Saint

Sticky isn't really a polling issue. If it's useful (can be readily understood and applied), it will be stickied on that merit, not a poll.
Old March 13th, 2009, 22:52   #6
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Sticky isn't really a polling issue. If it's useful (can be readily understood and applied), it will be stickied on that merit, not a poll.
Point is to bring it the attention to make it a sticky, am hoping all info others provide will make it worthwhile. Anything I provide WILL be useful, but what others give for test results will really make this thread come alive for usefulness.

Gave it the poll simply for ME to gauge how others care about information being useful to them in this sport and as far as upgrades goes; one already doesn't see this as being useful at all. I'll drop a BB in his honour a bit later, hope he's wearing eye protection when I do.
Old March 13th, 2009, 22:57   #7
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
GReat idea.

2 things:

Need to post the setup of each gun fired with a complete breakdown component wise.

Comparative analysis of the inside 30ft results to longer inside (if possible) results to see if/how we can extrapolate.
Old March 13th, 2009, 23:03   #8
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

I can pull off 90ft for accuracy indoors at the storage hut at work at some point again (search my thread from years ago, "90ft with a Glock 19"), but end of the month am heading up to my girlfriend's "farm" (with Testtube and Piper) to shoot real steel and test the new heavy Bastards at distances for consistancy in my M24. Ony really be able to comment on it, unless I sort out some sort of large target to take pics of groups.

Hehe, if I asked for it on a weekend, I might be able to get permission to do 230foot indoor testing in the hanger at work........................ I wish! But might become possible at some point.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications