Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Reducing FPS on a SOCOM Gear x Gemtech Oasis

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old January 13th, 2013, 22:29   #16
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

i know this is an old thread but has anyone been able to see what type of inner barrel this can use (id like to put in a longer one) or is it a one off type barrel? I know i got a hi cappa one for my kj m9 and had to file some new grooves in the barrel to make it fit the hop up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 23:46   #17
OM3GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
i know this is an old thread but has anyone been able to see what type of inner barrel this can use (id like to put in a longer one) or is it a one off type barrel? I know i got a hi cappa one for my kj m9 and had to file some new grooves in the barrel to make it fit the hop up.
Pretty sure it is a specific barrel. I know KM used to make a TN 6.04 Inner for the MK1 but I'm not sure if they still do. If you do some digging you might be able to find one.

Durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis.
OM3GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 22:13   #18
Jimski

is it possible to reduce airflow by capping some of the magazine valve's holes ?
Old July 4th, 2014, 00:39   #19
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm tempted to pick one of these up and I'm wondering if anyone was able to successfully bring the fps down to ~350fps and if so, how to go about doing so.
Old July 4th, 2014, 02:32   #20
Danke

Duster?
Old July 4th, 2014, 03:33   #21
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

I'd prefer to use propane as duster is rather annoying to source so a npas valve or something to that purpose would be ideal (not too familiar with the internals of this gun).

I've done some digging on various forums in the past for a solution and the best I've come with is a mention or two of modding/cutting the hammer spring in order to reduce fps. I'd guess it'd result in a weaker valve hit, thereby releasing less gas to propel the bb?
Old July 4th, 2014, 09:51   #22
Kos-Mos

I did cut the spring on mine.

Unfortunately, it does not work well.
Basically the FPS does not drop until the spring is "loose" in the housing.
At that point, the FPS drops drastically (read sub 200).

I had a magazine that was shooting under 350 (out of 6 mags). Never took the time to disassemble it and check what was the difference, and I sold this gun now.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 10:27   #23
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta678 View Post
I'd prefer to use propane as duster is rather annoying to source so a npas valve or something to that purpose would be ideal (not too familiar with the internals of this gun).

I've done some digging on various forums in the past for a solution and the best I've come with is a mention or two of modding/cutting the hammer spring in order to reduce fps. I'd guess it'd result in a weaker valve hit, thereby releasing less gas to propel the bb?
dropping it to 350 for indoor?
this is not a good gun for indoor use, it has a super long/stiff trigger pull, you actually move the whole barrel and hop up to the mag to "chamber" the bb i use the "" cause u dont actually chamber it, the bb is propelled directly from the mag down the barrel. This gun is best suited as a sniper sidearm, especially if yer runnin 500 or 550fps as u still have the range and energy to hit targets out to 200feet or so (inside your med but outside the range of yer average sidearm) the high fps is good so long as you treat it like a 450ish fps sniper rifle (100foot med) i love mine lol but hate the trigger pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 12:20   #24
chaz

I was trying to get some of the parts that Dynamo offered but he always seemed busy and was not able to make them. I ended up going with duster gas.
The trigger pull isnt a huge deal breaker, just slows you down a bit. Make your shots count?
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 18:15   #25
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Well the fields I have access to are strictly outdoors so the 400fps it shoots at is fine, can run it as a primary of sorts if I feel up to it for fun. Sidearm limits are 330 but I'd just prefer it shoot a bit a bit under 400fps (360-70?) so I won't have to worry about the occasional "hot" shot. I wouldn't want to get hit by a hot gun up close so this is more concern for the safety of the players I'm shooting at rather than me.

I understand how the system works somewhat, the "in mag" system is pretty ingenious as everything is in the mag and you don't have to worry about gas seals from the mag to nozzle, etc. That being said, modding or manufacturing a part that'd restrict the gas flow of the release valve should lower the fps would it not?

If Dynamo isn't able to produce any parts, would it be possible to share the knowledge so some other people can have a go at it? The pistol has potential but the limited/nonexistant aftermarket support kinda sucks.

The trigger I don't mind that much so its not a deal breaker for me. Would be interesting to tinker with it and see if I can bring down the trigger pull as well.
Old July 4th, 2014, 20:04   #26
Danke

You could also try chopping the barrel.

It's a DA only trigger so it is what it is. If the pistol had a nice crisp SA trigger it would really be in character with it's appearance.
Old July 4th, 2014, 20:19   #27
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Hm... that's an option. Haven't ordered one yet but I'll pick up an extra mag and see if I can do anything to it.

I'm curious about its performance though, considering its a nbb, is this comparable to the legendary "mouse farter", aka the TM MK23?
Old July 4th, 2014, 21:09   #28
Danke

It's louder.
Old July 4th, 2014, 21:35   #29
Jimski

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta678 View Post
Hm... that's an option. Haven't ordered one yet but I'll pick up an extra mag and see if I can do anything to it.

I'm curious about its performance though, considering its a nbb, is this comparable to the legendary "mouse farter", aka the TM MK23?
yes.It shoots amazingly straight and far.
However it is bad for skirmishing because of the trigger action that is fragile.
Old July 4th, 2014, 21:36   #30
targetGspot

I've got the kjw pistol and carbine. Where I play higher fps is better so I've kept my pistol stock. As for the carbine I've ghetto upgraded it by adding a spacer under the hammer spring. Gain of 25 to almost 100 fps depending on how big of spacer. I'm mentioning because over time the spring loses some strength so if you're not in a rush to game it, upgrade it and do some target practice to wear out the spring then remove the spacer to get a reduction in fps. How much? who knows but it will go down. Or else experiment with hammer springs from other guns, there must be some that'll work if you have access to them.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications