Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

ICS or CA MP5 SD5 - A buyer's dilemma

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old May 13th, 2010, 18:59   #1
Off-Kilter
formerly Adam M

ICS or CA MP5 SD5 - A buyer's dilemma

I've been looking around at all the manufactures MP5 SD5s in the past while, and have narrowed it down to 2, the ICS and CA MP5 SD5 (I don't want an MP5 with a plastic receiver). I was going to wait for the new ICS split gearbox MX5s, but I have found out that they won't be making an SD version at release, and I don't want to wait forever.

So there is one con to each of the guns I have selected (which is making it hard to pick one over the other), for the ICS, its that the hop up adjustment is external (it can be bumped during play) and the bolt cover doesn't move (less realistic), while with the classic army the bolt cover actually moves and the hop up adjustment is internal. The potential problem with the classic army is 1) it has what appears to be a much thicker trigger compared to all the other brands that make MP5s, is the trigger response mushy in anyway? And 2) The bolt cover appears to be a gray color while the rest of the gun is black, is it very noticeable? Would I be able to paint it a flat black (or would the paint chip off when opening the bolt cover)?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by Off-Kilter; May 14th, 2010 at 16:20..
Off-Kilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 19:34   #2
coach
aka coachster

Can't go wrong with the CA Metal body. Loving the weight and feel of mine. I don't know about the CA trigger response though but it's an easy swap with a different trigger and switch assembly if the stock on isn't to your liking. I currently have a TM box with modify internals.

If the CA you're looking at has the hop up adjustment behind the ejection port, you'll love it over the old style.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:45   #3
Off-Kilter
formerly Adam M

Yeah I am leaning towards the CA because it has the internal hop up, a big plus. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? CA is the way to go then? Does anyone know what version number their latest MP5s are?

And can I switch out the trigger to any other major (TM for instance) brand of MP5? Just as long as its a V. 2 mechbox?
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:19   #4
Hairu

I dont know much about the subject aside from that I had a similar delay but with the a5 (or a3) models
I ended up choosing classic army a) because I got a good deal on the classifieds, and b) looking at the stats the CA has more weight to it which suggests a more rugged build and durable body also the heavier weight is much closer to the real steel version
(and the superior hop up unit)
Hairu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:24   #5
Crunchmeister

Both CA and ICS have nice metal bodies. I prefer the CA for its internal hopup adjustment. It's far more stable that that little external TM-style lever. CA also has better quality plastic parts (stock, grip, etc) than most other manufacturers. I custom built an MP5 to my own specs using CA externals and couldn't be happier with it.

That being said, if I could get my hands on the new ICS with split gear box, I would go down that road without any hesitation. If you really have your heart set on an SD model, you could always get a new CA SD front end (you can legally import them yourself) and sell off the regular front end. If it's in new condition, you'd probably get almost as much for it as the SD front end cost you.
Old May 14th, 2010, 13:35   #6
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
If you really have your heart set on an SD model, you could always get a new CA SD front end (you can legally import them yourself)
Wouldn't you have trouble doing that since it has a silencer?
You can tell a person over and over that 4 + 5 = 9 and show them the mechanics of how addition works, but at the end of the day when you look into their eyes you know damn well that in their heads they still see 4 + 5 = pineapple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Harden the fuck up, you liberal pussies.
Shooting Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 18:28   #7
Off-Kilter
formerly Adam M

What about the CA internals? I've heard their newer releases in the past couple years have significantly improved internals over their old guns, are the internals pretty excellent now days? Or if not what are the problem areas?

The new ICS MP5s do sound sweet, with the 3 round burst and split mechboxes (great for realism and easy takedown), but for what I want I would have to buy the new front end, a full stock, and then rewire it, I don't think those two features make it worthwhile in the end. The CA has a pretty easy takedown I've heard, and I only do bursts when I fire anyways.
Old May 14th, 2010, 21:13   #8
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Addict View Post
Wouldn't you have trouble doing that since it has a silencer?
who said anything about importing a silencer? the front end it not restricted and silencers are already in country.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 22:16   #9
Off-Kilter
formerly Adam M

Another question, is the CA SD5's front grip rubberized like the ICS SD5?
Old August 12th, 2010, 23:18   #10
SteveAnderson

where can I buy the all metal ICS or CA mp5 ?
thanks
SteveAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 00:00   #11
gunscythe

I have both and love my ICS more. It has a full silencer which works really well, while the US-import CA has a welded front end that isn't a silencer at all. The ICS screws on, the CA has a weird special twist-lock. If I could choose I would only have the ICS one...I just love it. My ICS version is full metal and about 5 years old. My CA version is full metal and 2010.
Old August 13th, 2010, 00:06   #12
cjboi

ICS hands down... I have one and by far it has the best looking receiver compare to CA & TM with the real trademarks. I can switch mine to SD5 or SD6 anytime I want. CA and ICS both their receivers are made of aluminum. Ill post a picture of my ICS sd6 here later on if you want. but here's an example of how the receiver looks like --> compare to B&T CA
cjboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 00:13   #13
cjboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAnderson View Post
where can I buy the all metal ICS or CA mp5 ?
thanks
you have to get age verified, then you'll have access to our classified sections and to our retailers here in ASC
Old August 13th, 2010, 00:19   #14
cjboi

here's what a Classic Army mp5 receiver looks like with the trademarks

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion