Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

mesh eye protection

:

Newbie Tank

Old November 4th, 2012, 15:13   #31
pugs144

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
Don't lecture me on bad press, those pictures are real and not photoshopped.
Wow really?
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 15:24   #32
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Are you saying mesh goggle are proper eyewear for airsoft?
yes I am.
it comes down field owner rules and insurance.
if the field require paintball masks I have one, and will use it.
if the field require ballistics rated goggles I have my smith optics, and use them.
if the field allows any eye pro, depending on weather and role i may use mesh or smiths.

I've seen guys run ballistics glasses, would I use them? no but thats my personal opinion.
Now if somebody shows up wearing the first glasses you posted to a game thats just stupidity.

face protection also falls under personal preference, I don't run any, i ran a mouth guard at one point but then spit it out half way through.

Also I did not say at any point that those injuries are not possible, nor did I say the images where photo-shopped. you need to step back and cool off

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs144 View Post
Wow really?
somebody didnt get enough hugs as a child maybe.

Last edited by R.I.T.Z; November 4th, 2012 at 15:39..
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 15:45   #33
Antikythera

I'd rather wear a pair of full seal mesh goggles then wear ballistic glasses.
Antikythera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 15:51   #34
pugs144

Re: Mesh goggles vs. Ballistic eyewear vs. Paintball goggles etc.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. We're all big boys here, I assume so anyway.
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 15:51   #35
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antikythera View Post
I'd rather wear a pair of full seal mesh goggles then wear ballistic glasses.
so would I, again it boils down to field rules and personal opinion.
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 16:14   #36
Drake
E-01

I've been using ESS Profile NVGs since about 2005 or 2006, never had an issue or incident. Then again, I have a fairly broad cranium and I have RX inserts (polycarb lens) under them, so there's no real gap there even if something slipped in from a weird angle. But I could see the gap being present on someone with a narrower face.

Used with a helmet (TC2000) there's no angle a BB could slip under the lens unless you were standing on the person and they were shooting straight up or someone stuck the muzzle of their gun under the side of the helmet.

So like a pair of jeans you kinda have to try them on and see if they fit you properly.
Old November 4th, 2012, 16:30   #37
Oborous

I too wish we could move to ban mesh goggles from Canada. There is no consistent performance standard, not testing methodology. From having to compile rules for our little bit of Canada I found out how amazingly difficult it is to describe safety protection.

There are so many cheap chinese knockoffs that look so amazingly real, you can't tell what the mesh actually is, what the paint is. You can have it that there is stress over time and you never know, your protection might work for one season and then be compromised over time.

However, there are some good mesh products out there, I use mesh lower face protection, and after getting shot in the year this season, I'm looking at full face protection.

I purchased Smith Optics Boogie Regulators which, for my face, work really, really well, and can easily fit under full face mesh-masks.

After having to re-write the rules, the local board staff, executive, community planning people, and most of the game organizers have all moved to ballistic lens only, not even Z87.1+ 2010 high energy standard. Why would you ever even considering going lower?
Oborous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 17:30   #38
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
so would I, again it boils down to field rules and personal opinion.
Why not just have games where no eye protection is needed. These private games don't have insurance anyways.

Only shots to the body or ass will count as a hit. If you get shot in the face or eyes you can keep on playing.

Last edited by SuperHog; November 4th, 2012 at 17:36..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 17:34   #39
Antikythera

Quote:
Why not just have games where no eye protection is needed. These private games don't have insurance anyways.

You can always wear your plate carrier.
Oh great...

Wait. Did I fall for it?

Last edited by Antikythera; November 4th, 2012 at 17:34.. Reason: misquote
Antikythera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 17:53   #40
Drake
E-01

Keep the comments constructive/informative.
Old November 4th, 2012, 18:11   #41
Basic-Wedge

I only wear mesh goggles to deal with fogging in instances of extreme humidity. The type I wear are from Heroshark in the UK. http://heroshark.co.uk/ They're substantially thicker than most, and built on quality Bolle frames.

Basic-Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 18:20   #42
LongStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
Best .. Low profile themal ballistic goggles, and mesh face protection.
Ill have to agree there, I picked up a pair of Bitter End mesh goggles last year after some frustration with fog. after taking a shot in the lens with these I would NOT recommend them to anyone else, not so much as a dent in the lens but chips of paint/coating blew off onto my eyes and haven't worn them since. they are hard enough that a BB could shatter as well.
I suspect types of woven mesh might be better for this (people I know with that type haven't had the same issues) as they should bounce/deflect the BB more but having and uneven surface an no sharp edges (like the "honeycomb" style)

I still run a mesh lower face shield (woven type) and have had no issues with it, and can pull it off to have a smoke.
ESS goggles (etc) with a fan kit and a touch of "no fog" applied properly you should be good to go, I've had sweat pouring down my face/pooling at the bottom of the goggles with only a slight fog at the upper rim of the lens
LongStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 18:20   #43
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

I will never run mesh goggles. It's not the fact that I'm worried about them breaking, it's the shit that might pass through them from a cheap BB, or a dirty BB, or a stick, etc.

I've run shooting glasses pretty much every game since I've started playing. I had a pair of ESS Advancers I'd use for games which required full steal goggles, but they walked off on me at Rhino II (and my last pair did the same thing at Rhino I.... fuck you, Rhino >:c ).

We don't play at paintball fields in NS so there's never really any super strict eyepro regulations in terms of which kind are allowed.
Old November 4th, 2012, 18:50   #44
SuperHog

What they show you in these videos on the effectiveness of a mesh may not be the same ones being shipped. I would like to see formal ballistic testing . Being a mesh it may hold up to a shot but it won't stop dirt or a broken bb from passing through.

I guess if you have a face full of eyeballs like a set of teeth, then it is OK to loose one.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank