Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Western Arms M4 Gas Blowback

:

Newbie Tank

Old May 3rd, 2009, 14:40   #1
turok_t

Western Arms M4 Gas Blowback

Ive been watching some youtube videos of the WA M4 GBB. The recoil is more realistic than the G&G one. What do you guys think of this gun? It is worth it for its price range? Thanks.
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 15:06   #2
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

Depends if you are willing to put up with the hassle of gas guns...

The recoil will be better for sure, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first gun. Recoil in airsoft carbines shouldn't be a desired featured, since short of using classic guns, you will be disappointed.

Besides, with the insane price tag of both the gun and mags, a complete setup will run you thousands.

Stick with an AEG if this is a first buy.

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 15:10   #3
theguy

If you are really intrested in the blowback feature, try the G&G one, Its an electric blowback instead of gas, making it more user friendly, and less expensive. Tys took one apart i think, if your seriously intrested, take a look at his thread about it

Chinese proverb
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 16:30   #4
Zakaib

I am inclined to agree with the previous two. A GBB M4 is a colossal investment, one you'll want to be damn careful about. Personally, I wouldn't consider the price worth the product at all, but you may feel differently.
Zakaib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 18:43   #5
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy View Post
If you are really intrested in the blowback feature, try the G&G one, Its an electric blowback instead of gas, making it more user friendly, and less expensive. Tys took one apart i think, if your seriously intrested, take a look at his thread about it
I looked at some of the G&G GBB and the blowback isnt too much, its pretty subtle. If I do get the gun, I probably have to change the externals cause everything is plastic. I prefer something metal.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 18:47   #6
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

Go with a CA AR-15, screw the blowback. You will be happy.

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 20:10   #7
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
WA gbbs are mostly plastic too and GBB rifles are too new, still lots of kinks to work out of em.
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 21:55   #8
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

If you want to get an M4 GBB, building (or buying a pre-built one) that is at skirmishing quality plus 5 mags is a HUGE investment. You are easily looking at around $2500+ just to get started, and that's before you've added on any real extras to customize the look of the piece.

But besides that, the blowback features of GBB M4s is FUN AS HELL! You can not beat the experience.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 22:19   #9
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
If you want to get an M4 GBB, building (or buying a pre-built one) that is at skirmishing quality plus 5 mags is a HUGE investment. You are easily looking at around $2500+ just to get started, and that's before you've added on any real extras to customize the look of the piece.

But besides that, the blowback features of GBB M4s is FUN AS HELL! You can not beat the experience.

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN i guess ill be sticking with G&P nonblowback then, if I can even find one...
Old May 3rd, 2009, 22:40   #10
RacingManiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post

G&P WOC is probably the easiest way of getting something skirmish-able for the WA platform, or a WE M4. But you are looking at expensive mags, and you are going to adopt a totally different style of playing...

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 22:41   #11
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

The G&P series looks pretty good for the price, if you're willing to accept the styles they have available. Cost in Canada is still about $1200, though for just the gun alone, and that's the cheapest model available. The more expensive G&P WOC models go upwards of $1500.

I would not recommend the WE M4. They are horribly inaccurate, but are very cheap to start for a mostly metal gun. It's still definitely better than a WA M4 because of all the plastic components the WA uses. The WE does have other short comings as well:

- The entire system is proprietary - WA M4 parts will not fit, so finding any replacements and upgrades would be harder.
- Bolt stroke length is only a couple of inches, whereas all the WA based guns (G&P, Inokatsu, etc) all have a complete stroke for harder kicking action
- Again, the accuracy and groupings of the WE are garbage. At best. Stock Marui GBB pistols shoot better than a WE M4.

Last edited by ILLusion; May 3rd, 2009 at 22:55..
Old May 3rd, 2009, 22:48   #12
KND
* AV revoked *

The price tag of the GBB rifle is not that bad compare to PTW owner but mostly the reason that stop them from buying is the price tag of the mag and will limit them to play in Winter. That's mostly the point.

KND

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 22:57   #13
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Agreed. PTW is still better as a skirmishing weapon. More reliable. There are certain trade offs that an electrical based platform can provide that no gas system can. Electric is much more practical, but the mechanic-pneumatic function of GBB is intuitive and much more realistic. It's also more cosmetic, but it all comes down to what it is that you're looking for. It can be totally worth it if you have a hard on for blowback.

Last edited by ILLusion; May 3rd, 2009 at 22:59..
Old May 3rd, 2009, 23:01   #14
RacingManiac

I want the GBB for CAPS....

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 23:04   #15
kullwarrior

Well heres what I think about the GBB versus AEG or PTW type

AEG: Well suited for beginner, good skirmish weapon, cheap prices compare to other three
GBB: Ultimate plinker, most realistic, Mid range price
PTW: Realistic dimension while its still use electric, STOCK ptw has better accuracy then MOST AEG out there, the most expensive of the three

If you really want a plinker in my opinion just get firearms license and wait for the Umarex-Colt M4 in 22lr (coming in June, Unrestricted, 30 rounds mags, semi-auto of course)

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank