Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Have a disability but want to play airsoft

:

General

Old March 31st, 2016, 01:54   #1
mrjaybles

Have a disability but want to play airsoft

So I made a post about this a while back and it got some positive feedback but I wanted to make a new post because now I know exactly what is the problem.

So basically I have a physical disability called spinocerebellar ataxia(google it if you wish) which affects my muscle movements, coordination, etc. I really want to get into this sport/hobby but I'm afraid of getting laughed at or teased because "I don't move and react like normal people do" or something like that. Also I have the tendency to fall down a lot because my balance is off. I would feel way more comfortable playing with a friend or someone like that but I dont have any friends who play airsoft. Any and all feedback is welcome. Thank you.

mrjaybles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 02:18   #2
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

If you feel it's very apparent then I would just inform players when starting the day, that way people are aware and you don't need to worry about it after that point.

I do hope you play, if you want I can join you at Siege one day and bring a few guns and generally just play with you for company... it's a fun hobby
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 02:41   #3
cav.

I think the people who will tease and make fun of you will burn in hell. Dont worry There's a fellow out in Europe who has some muscle degenerative disability and he plays in an electric wheel chair with mounted M249's lol! If you have interest, you should just go to a field make sure you have protective gear; helmet, elbow pads, knee pads to protect yourself as you stated you dont have very good balance.

Some motivation
http://blog.airsoft-squared.com/incr...n-airsoft-tank
Old March 31st, 2016, 02:58   #4
Handsonic
"I like syrup on my blue waffles." #diseasedvagina

I have never heard of people with disabilities being made fun of in airsoft. I personally have physical issues (Crohn's Disease and I'm nearly blind in the left eye) and everyone around me is VERY supportive. The first time my Crohn's acted up on the field, I went to sit out and 3 people came with me to make sure I was okay. While sitting out, a guy I had only just met bought me a drink and sat with me for 30 minutes. Plus, whenever my team is planning who goes where for a game, the captain lets me go down the paths I am most comfortable with, the ones with the least right turns, which would require the use of my left eye.

I've seen a girl with a heart problem have a serious issue at my local arena and everyone gave her space while EMS came. I've seen people pass out and nobody got in the way while help arrived. In neither of those situations was anyone being disrespectful in any manner.

I find that, as immature as the airsoft community CAN be, we are very welcoming to all different types of people (as long as they are adults).

Last edited by Handsonic; March 31st, 2016 at 03:00..
Handsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 03:19   #5
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Don't let the fear of what others might think put you off.

I can't claim to know anything about Spinocerebellar ataxia, but as long as your doctor wouldn't object to it, then I say you have nothing to fear. Get out an play before you get too old, or something worse comes along. Things can always be worse.

Only you know your physical limits. If you think it might be a cause for concern, I'd say let the ref at the field, and people around you know, so they don't mistake your symptoms for something more serious.

*Busy signing for his packages*
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 04:44   #6
Sentenced2Burn

Airsofters can sometimes seem like abrasive pricks online, but when it's time to play we're generally super supportive. I think you would be applauded for coming out to play and do something you love. There's a kid out there who is basically condemned to a wheelchair, and his local team set him up with a special rig so he could roll around murking fools like a mini-tank. It's the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Anyway, to make a long story short; don't be discouraged. There are many kinds of play-styles that might suit your mobility level perfectly. Sometimes it's nice to have a guy holding shit down with tons of MG fire, not moving around too much. The most important thing is to forget what people think and just get out there to have fun. If someone tries to give you a hard time about it, tell them to kindly fuck off and just keep doing your thing, because airsoft is something for everyone, not just for elitist assholes.

I'm sure you will be suprised by how much help and support you get from other players. If you run into the occasional douche-canoe, don't let it get you down. Just snipe that sucker.
Old March 31st, 2016, 06:24   #7
RainyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentenced2Burn View Post
Airsofters can sometimes seem like abrasive pricks online, but when it's time to play we're generally super supportive. I think you would be applauded for coming out to play and do something you love. There's a kid out there who is basically condemned to a wheelchair, and his local team set him up with a special rig so he could roll around murking fools like a mini-tank. It's the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Anyway, to make a long story short; don't be discouraged. There are many kinds of play-styles that might suit your mobility level perfectly. Sometimes it's nice to have a guy holding shit down with tons of MG fire, not moving around too much. The most important thing is to forget what people think and just get out there to have fun. If someone tries to give you a hard time about it, tell them to kindly fuck off and just keep doing your thing, because airsoft is something for everyone, not just for elitist assholes.

I'm sure you will be suprised by how much help and support you get from other players. If you run into the occasional douche-canoe, don't let it get you down. Just snipe that sucker.
I second the MG position.

If I were OIC I'd make you support gunner:

I'm certain that the reality is people will laugh at you behind your backs and those are the pricks who deserve piss in their coffee but besides that I'm certain people won't blame you if you can't fulfill a team role.

Jokes aside, definitely try to play outdoor and indoor. Different terrain, different equipment, heck you might actually get to ride in an ATV depending on some venues whether here in Canada or across the border in the US.

That being said, make sure you inform the field staff of your condition in the event they need to administer extra caution or assistance if you need help or medical attention. Wear LOTS of cover/clothing especially in the event you do get hit/fall down.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:14   #8
Covax

What you could also do is try out different game types and see what you like best; different fields and different scenarios have different needs. An indoor place like Siege has everything self-contained and play may be faster paced, while outdoor fields may have a... I don't want to say slower, let's say more deliberate pace over long time frames. Then you have stuff like zombie games or more 'role play' scenarios - say Trouble in Terrorist Town - where you need to use your head as much as your trigger.

Also, even if everyone is running, it doesn't mean you have to. There's nothing wrong with hanging back and being a defensive and/or area denial guy. Those guys rushing up the a flank rarely have the foresight to have someone guarding their six. I've seen teams decimated by a sneaky ninja... and I've also seen those same sneaky ninja types shwacked by a single patient rear guard.
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:40   #9
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

I assure you that if you came out to Finch field we would (the staff) and almost every person who plays there regularly would be happy to have you out, and would be more impressed with your will to live your life regardless of your physical setbacks.
There is a fellow who plays who has mobility issues. He can't play everywhere because he needs to use an atv to cover larger distances effectively. No one really bugs him and most folks are just impressed that he still does his best to get out and have fun.
I will say this sport is full of all those of folks these days.
With the recent popularity growth so I'm sure there will be the odd asshat who will, well, be an asshat but most of "the core" group, IE those of us who have been here for some time, would be glad to show you the ropes and buddy up with you incase you need some cover fire while you get back to your feet after a stumble.
Welcome to ASC, hopefully welcome to airsoft!
Hopefully the responses here will show you that the majority of us would be glad to have you out.

And yes MG seemes to be the go to job for those with mobility issues. You just post up and over watch while providing cover for your team to advance.
Here is how the fellow I mentioned gets around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft

Last edited by Hectic; March 31st, 2016 at 09:08..
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 08:59   #10
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Get out there and play if that's what you want to do. You can't stop bullies from being bullies or idiots from being idiots, there's more being born every minute, but that's their curse not yours. If you go out and stay positive, you'll find more friends than not, more positive than negative.
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:02   #11
_Whiskey_

Everyone Is there to have fun regardless of any disability Physical or mental. Personally I know a guy who has autism (Asperger's syndrome) and he play's While he does only the syndrome Mild, He is still out there and having fun and enjoying the sport like anyone else.

As long as your playing within a limit that is safe for you with your condition, Come out and have fun. There is even a video on youtube somewhere of a young man in a wheelchair playing at CQB City in the US with a MP5.
_Whiskey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:11   #12
Sentenced2Burn

I forgot to mention we have a fellow here in Thunder Bay who goes by the name "Johnny no-legs" (I'm dead serious), and he has -- you guessed it -- no legs. Never asked for help, just worked his way around the field and set up his own positions to lay down fire from. He has prosthetics, but they're not really conducive to running around fields or obstacle courses so he would opt to just go without them.

He was super active and came out every week for games. I've been sniped numerous times by him. Hasn't been out in a year or two, but the legend lives on.

So yeah, I'd say you will be more than welcome into the community. If Johnny no-legs can do it, so can you.
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:17   #13
ShelledPants

Lemme tell you, if you go out an play, and someone laughs at you:

I guarantee that person will get booted. If they don't, then you need a more hospitable field. There is no place on the playing field for making someone feel out of place because they "look or act different".

Now, if you dress in all MC, expect to be made fun of...

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:21   #14
BloodSport
Traveling Man

1) you are age verified, so that already proves to the majority of us that you have more drive to play this game than many many many others who complain about how hard it is to get age verified.

2) there will always be that asshat who might laugh, but behind you there will always be more saying shoot his ass while he's distracted laughing.

3) Hope to see you on the field the next time I get to be in Ontario and get to a game!

Have fun, that is what matters most. Find the role that you like and can do, and everyone else that plays for the same reasons will support you.
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:23   #15
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Multicam isn't cool any more?
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General