:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old July 22nd, 2010, 17:29   #451
turok_t

I made a little test to show how much short cycling you get for:

1. Guarder 150% recoil spring
2. Guarder 150% recoil spring + Airsoft Surgeon Buffers x 2 + 1 washer
3. Guarder 150% recoil spring + AIP spring and washer set

Note that the slide catch works for 1 and 2, but not for 3. Originally the slide catch didn't work for 2, but i modded it so the slide catches now

1. Guarder 150% recoil spring

2. Guarder 150% recoil spring + Airsoft Surgeon Buffers x 2 + 1 washer

3. Guarder 150% recoil spring + AIP spring and washer set

Results: There is a big of lag in the video so it is a bit difficult to see the results, but if you download the video, its MUCH clearer regarding the difference between the 3 setups. However, there is a significant differences between 2 and 3. If see it in person, the AIP spring and washer set shortens the cycle speed much more and u can see the slide barely moving.

Last edited by turok_t; July 22nd, 2010 at 17:34..
turok_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 17:33   #452
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Dude... the part where your mom starts yelling at you because of the stanky propane makes the 3rd video the best airsoft video I've seen to date.

There is video lag present, but you can still visually make out the speed increase of video 3 vs video 2.

However, a more fair comparison would be 3x shock buffers + 3x washers vs the video 3. By cutting it down to just 2x shock buffers + 1x washer, you're effectively slowing down the cycle without a fair comparison.

Last edited by ILLusion; July 22nd, 2010 at 17:37..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 17:43   #453
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Dude... the part where your mom starts yelling at you because of the stanky propane makes the 3rd video the best airsoft video I've seen to date.

There is video lag present, but you can still visually make out the speed increase of video 3 vs video 2.

However, a more fair comparison would be 3x shock buffers + 3x washers vs the video 3. By cutting it down to just 2x shock buffers + 1x washer, you're effectively slowing down the cycle without a fair comparison.
Yea sorry, I was a bit embarrassed when my mom was there. I was hoping no one understood chinese but she hates it when i fire my gun because she thinks its going to give her lung cancer. There is alot of lag in the video, if u download it, the difference is MUCH clearer.. dont know why it lags soo much if its posted online.

Also note that the total length of buffer for #3 is twice the size of #2, which results in a much faster stroke cycle for #3. Ive custom made another spacer using a gasket that can be added to #2 to even out the size, but I think at this point, I would use #3 because the results are incredible and much better than #2. It really shortens the cycle alot.

Last edited by turok_t; July 22nd, 2010 at 17:59..
Old July 22nd, 2010, 19:38   #454
StrikeFreedom

My mom yells at me like that too, chinese parents...
StrikeFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 13:39   #455
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

My gf yells at me like that too, chinese girlfriends...

no, seriously. She doesn't like how I use propane... to her, it should only be used for cooking.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 13:41   #456
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
My gf yells at me like that too, chinese girlfriends...

no, seriously. She doesn't like how I use propane... to her, it should only be used for cooking.
Call her Hank Hill,,,
Old July 23rd, 2010, 13:52   #457
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Not only you, my parents yell at me too thinking I'll blow the house with one cycle, and they think a spark can blow us all up...

Hey, get a steel slide and use set up 3.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 16:06   #458
turok_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hitman View Post
Not only you, my parents yell at me too thinking I'll blow the house with one cycle, and they think a spark can blow us all up...

Hey, get a steel slide and use set up 3.
Thats why i fill my mags with propane outside so the smell doesnt linger as much indoors. But yeah, my mom refers to my handgun as the "smelly one" since my rifle is an AEG
Old July 23rd, 2010, 16:20   #459
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

I'm not allowed to shoot my capa's when my gf is over

maybe I should just get rid of her?
Old July 23rd, 2010, 16:49   #460
turok_t

So i hear that you can use the duster cans as an alternative source to propane. I also recall Brian writing somewhere that u can only use some sort of duster depending on its chemical composition. Anyone know what duster cans i can use safely for my TM 5.1? My dad just bitched at me and said "if u continue firing your gun indoors, u are slowly killing yourself"... i fire 1 mag per day in my room.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 16:56   #461
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok_t View Post
So i hear that you can use the duster cans as an alternative source to propane. I also recall Brian writing somewhere that u can only use some sort of duster depending on its chemical composition. Anyone know what duster cans i can use safely for my TM 5.1? My dad just bitched at me and said "if u continue firing your gun indoors, u are slowly killing yourself"... i fire 1 mag per day in my room.
First, It's a WEAKER and MORE EXPENSIVE alternative to propane. Use it if your gun can't handle the pressure of propane and you have a lot of money to burn. You're looking at about $10 per can of gas, roughly same volume or less than that of a Coleman propane tank at 3x the cost. You'll also experience greater cooldown effects than propane if you use duster, so duster is considered to be detrimental to performance in multiple ways. Again, the ONLY reason you would use duster is if your gun simply can't handle the pressure of propane.

Secondly, you can only use Tetrafluoroethane duster, which is very difficult to find these days. Blame it on idiot kids who thought it would be a great idea to huff it, only to end up dying from oxygen depletion to the brain. It's been replaced on most store shelves with Difluoroethane these days, which is even weaker, and there have been rumors of it degrading o-rings and seals.

Duster is more dangerous than propane, and is also just as flammable, depending on the type of fluorocarbons used. This type of gas can also contribute to ozone depletion, which is another reason why HFC134a has been banned for most uses.

If you really want to raise a logical debate with dad, tell him to provide quantitative evidence that propane in 1 mag concentrations in your room is enough to cause even a bit of damage to your brain cells. Propane isn't even a toxin to the body - it's an asphyxiant. It can't cause permanant toxicological damage to the body. At most, it may make you dizzy, you may faint (these are all due to lack of oxygen), or it may cause numbness to areas of the body if you inhale it in greater quantities (ie direct from the nozzle, which I hope you're not stupid enough to do. Some kids also inhale propane to get high (due to availability), and end up killing themselves as well.)

There's no better way to beat parental supposition than with logic and fact.

Last edited by ILLusion; July 23rd, 2010 at 17:10..
Old July 24th, 2010, 22:15   #462
StrikeFreedom

If the blow back action is inconsistent (sometimes weak sometimes strong), does that mean the nozzle is not sliding along the piston head smoothly? And so I need to change to a smaller oring?
StrikeFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 23:43   #463
RacingManiac

You may also have a weak hammer spring....

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 00:06   #464
Slono
Slow mo.

Does anybody know what material the NOVA 1911 kits are made of? Specifically of course, not just "metal".

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands
in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he
stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Slono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 00:16   #465
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
Does anybody know what material the NOVA 1911 kits are made of? Specifically of course, not just "metal".
It's CNC machined aluminum. Couldn't tell you the specific alloy, as it's not advertised anywhere. I'd guess somewhere along the line of 6061 aluminum, based on how hard (easy?) it is to work the material. I'd also guess there to be no surface treatments applied to it.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications