View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2017, 03:10   #1
The Phoenix Reborn

G&G G980 SE (Kar98k - Shell Ejecting) - Advice & Maintenance

Hello to everyone!

I am currently seeking assistance from anyone who may be familiar with the G&G Shell-Ejecting G980 SE, which is a real wood & steel GBB replica of the Kar98k. My understanding is that the older, magazine-only version of the G980 has been around for awhile, but I've yet to find any details for the G980 SE as it appears this shell-ejecting model is relatively recent.

I currently have this gun brand-new (As in it just came in the mail yesterday) and I'm already having some issues with the bolt-action. My technical terminology ain't the best, so please bear with me:

After pulling the bolt back (Thereby cocking the gun), the motion of pushing the bolt back in is met with a jam or some kind of heavy resistance as I am unable to push it in all the way and rotate it back downward to its closed position. This is rectified somewhat by using a bit more force from my arm, but based on the demos I've seen in videos, this shouldn't require much effort (At least not to the point where my hand hurts)

This action a little bit better when the gun has no shells in it, but when I DO load shells into it, the jamming happens far more frequently. With shells loaded, the bolt would push the shell into the chamber but then jam and not be able to go in all way to the closed position. Because of that, I now end up with a shell inside the chamber which cannot be ejected because I can't complete the full bolt-action motion and I'm required to use my servicing rod to push the shell back out by inserting the rod through the barrel.

In all honesty because this gun is so new, my success-rate has been quite varied so far but I've yet to smoothly cycle the gun without issue while all five shells loaded into the gun. Oddly enough, if I were to perform the bolt-action while the gun's trigger is held down, the shells will cycle & eject perfectly and the action is super smooth.

SOMETHING with the bolt and perhaps the trigger mechanism that interacts with the bolt is causing the loading action to jam and it's causing me a great deal of concern, primarily because: A) This gun was expensive B) I cannot find too much info for this particular model C) My constant Day 1 testing trying to figure this out is actually starting to cause wear on the bolt assembly and inner-parts of the gun

On that note, can anyone advise whether I should be lubricating this gun out of the box (If at all) and if so, where specifically would be the best areas to lubricate and with what? Since I plan on regularly using this gun, I want to reduce as much wear and tear as I can.

End of long post... Whew!

Thank you all and I appreciate your patience and any assistance you can provide! If it helps, I can try and see if I can post some pics / videos for better reference later.

Last edited by The Phoenix Reborn; March 2nd, 2017 at 03:15..
The Phoenix Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote